From Lisa's scribbled notes of things she's overheard these past few months:
From Anne Peyton:
- in a complaining voice: "Mommy! Midas is wicking the wotion off my weg!"
- "I'm the boss of my peepee and my poopoo"
- "Mommy, Tommy is tying (crying)". Or, "I want to sweep in my tib (crib) tonight" (I will be so sad when she can actually pronounce the letters C, Q, K, L, etc. I suppose we could have her practice it more often, but....no!)
- with great enthusiasm: "Mommy! I'm so happy! Because Midas' weg feels betta and Tommy said 'Momma'! Yea! mmmm hmmmmmm!"
- "I just a yittle bit scared"
- "My head is yittle. But it will get bigger and bigger, just wike yours!"
- Speaking of little, when she needs to describe something as being "just a yittle bit ______ (scared, shy, etc), she uses her index finger to point at her eye, from the side. Presumably this came from us using our thumb and index fingers, somewhere in the vicinity of our faces, to illustrate "little", and this translated into pointing at her eye.
- "Mommy, when I'm angey at you, I don't wike you, but when I'm angey at you, I still wuv you"
- "Mommy, I wike (Nonney/Grandma/Aunt Becky/etc) so much"
- favorite made-up word: ko ko po
- favorite songs: From Boynton's Rhinoceros Tap CD: Barnyard Dance, Tickle Time, "Wittle Won", the amorous turkey song (she thinks that one is "pwetty funny"), "Hoo-Wa" from Laurie Berkner Band, Unicorn Song (but she was so sad about the ending that she made up a new one), Bear Hunt song, Wheels on the Bus is still a favorite...
- Just last night, we were all 4 sitting on the deck enjoying the beautiful evening. We agreed we'd just sit and talk. I said "Anne P, what do you want to talk about?". She immediately said "I don't want to talk about pacies (pacifiers). I want to talk about cats". It cracked us up how seriously she said all this. Later she elaborated that she wanted to talk about the way cats drink water (which she imitated for us).
Tommy:
- "Hi - ya!" (his greeting, said as if he's about to do a karate kick, but the accent is on the first syllable)
- "Hi tor-tul" (Becky taught him to say this to a small wooden turtle at her house)
- Favorite word: "No" -- he literally says it whenever you ask him a question, including when the answer is really "yes", such as "do you want a cookie?". We're not sure if he just doesn't understand yes vs no, or just loves to sound difficult
- "Seesee" (Sissy, what he calls Anne Peyton; said in a high-pitched, accent-on-the-first-syllable, delighted-to-see her tone.... usually).
- "choo choo" (said in the same sing-songy voice)
- He always has been, and still is, a boy who loves his comfort objects. For Anne Peyton it was (uh, yea, still IS, at bedtime....) her pacifier, but for him, it's either one of a number of soft fleecy blankets, or a small stuffed animal. It's tangible how much he will calm down once he has possession of one of these - especially the blanket when you lay it on your shoulder).
- When he's really ticked at you (and he still does have quite a little temper), he walks away and rebukes any attempt you might make to comfort him
- Loves to dance. I'll constantly catch him clapping and bee-bopping to music on the radio or CD player in the car, even if it's not exactly rhthym-inducing music. Likes all the same songs AP does.
- Definitely has his favorite books. Unlike AP who would listen to just about anything you read her, he likes to pick out his books and if he doesn't like one you're reading him, he'll hop out of your lap and get a new one. Favorites by far are The Hungry Little Caterpillar and Good Night Gorilla with a host of runners-up including Animal Kisses, any train books
- and the thing that makes me LOL every time I think of it: when you ask him what a lion says, he immediately responds heartily: ROAR, and this is always accompanied by him clenching one or both of his fists at the same time.
Beautiful Girl
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment