Friday, March 19, 2010

My First Week as a SAHM

SAHM=Stay at Home Mom, for those who weren't familiar with that acronym. :)

On Feb. 22 I received a not unexpected and not completely unwelcome phone call from my manager at HP, telling me I had been impacted by the latest of many rounds of layoffs since EDS had been purchased by HP over a year ago.  Although my paychecks would continue for 60 days, I was relieved of my responsibilities and would receive a 3 month severance after April 23.  Funny, that will be 18 years almost to the day (4/22/1992 was my first day at the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center in Michigan). 

After some weepiness -the kind I always experience at the end of anything (John jokes I would be teary after being freed from a concentration camp) and whenever people say nice things to me (as they often do when you are leaving), I began to enjoy my liberation.  We needed to provide 3 weeks' notice to our daycare providers so in effect I had 3 weeks of "Lisa time" which I enjoyed thoroughly by going to a 1.5-hr power yoga class every day, taking Midas on daily walks, doing some organizing around the house, meeting and friends, and, hmmmm, I don't have much else to show for that time.  I'm still shocked at how little I actually got done.  But I surely did enjoy it!

March 11 was the kids' last official day at Marilyn & Jerry's (of course I was quite emotional for that too),

and March 15 started my first official week as a SAHM. It went amazingly well! Here is a rundown:

Monday, 3/15:  We picked up my car from the "hospital" (after a $800 head gasket repair, ugh, at least I still have a paycheck coming in) and went to Mr. Biggs, an indoor entertainment center near our house.  It opens at 11am and we were among the first ones there.  Not a busy time so we mostly had the place to ourselves.  Played in the foam ball pit, the "Little Bigg Town", and played a few video games.  Tommy wanted a gun game to my dismay, and AP was happy with anything that involved animals.  They did try to drive cars around a toy track as well.    Back at home, Tommy tried for a nap but it didn't work, so I set the kids up with the easel and paints out on the deck.  After producing two masterpieces each we played in the back yard for awhile (thank goodness most of the week was beautiful pre-spring weather) and headed off early to the pool to play for a bit prior to swim lessons at 5:15.

Tuesday, 3/16:  Tommy and I had his "I'm a Big Kid Now" class at one of the local Rec Centers from 9-10:30 and unfortunately I had not made any plans for Anne Peyton (older siblings not permitted to accompany us).  So I parked her in front of the PBS station at home.  I hate doing it but have to admit it makes things easier, and the REAL benefit is John working from home so I can do things like that in a pinch.

Wednesday, 3/17: St. Patty's Day!   We dropped AP off at her Kendallvue Preschool class (8:15-10:45) and Tommy and I headed off to the gym for a yoga class.  He hates going to the gym's nursery without AP but he choked back his anxiety and very bravely went inside so that I had less stress to sweat out in yoga.  John picked up AP from class while Tommy and I hit the craft & grocery stores to prepare for St Pat's Day.  I had the kids make a "Pot of Gold" craft consisting of painting a tiny terra cotta pot black, painting small rocks gold, and then putting colored pipe cleaners together to make a rainbow. 
They loved it and it bought me a little time to put the corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot, then get showered up.  Again Tommy tried to nap (and he really does try! which is ok by me) and then the 3 of us piled in the car to drive down to the Cherry Cricket pub where the bagpipe bands were supposed to begin playing at 3pm.  I was really anxious about this excursion because my experiences with it in years past include hoards of drunken people.  But arriving that early allowed us to roam the bar easily and have good views of the pipes, drums & dancers.  At first the kids stood there horrified, with hands on ears, but after some acclimation time they seemed to enjoy themselves.  Tommy told me the drums were his fave, and AP of course liked the Highland dancers with the pretty red dresses.

Afterwards, we had a dinner which was as green as it could possibly be.  







Thursday, 3/18: Marilyn had done a unit on dinosaurs so the kids were full of dinosaur-talk, so we decided to visit Dinosaur Ridge which is very close to our house. 
 You used to be able to drive along the hogback and ooh-and-aah over the fossilized dino footprints there, but now they have turned it into part of the museum and there is a guided tour.  This turned out well, because it was interesting and because the kids could actually get out and touch the footprints.  Tommy cracked me up when, after viewing and touching some of the fossils, he asked me (in his sing-songy voice and with hand language included) "mommy, where are the fossils?"


Friday, 3/19:  It's so nice being able to bring AP home from preschool and just be together ( as opposed to rushing her over to Marilyn & Jerry's).  Here's a picture from lunch that day.  That night, we had one of our monthly pizza parties with some of the daycare families.  It was a nice reunion after the kids' first week apart.

2 comments:

ESheppy said...

Lisa ... you can change the publish date. Go into "post options". Click on "Set Date and Time" instead of "Automatic".

Tracy also seems to cry everytime something changes at work. Must be a chick thing.

John and Lisa Hofmeister said...

Thanks Eric! I was secretly hoping someone would tell me that was the case! I'll do it right away. I'm chuckling right now about the 'chick thing'. :)